Thursday, August 16, 2012

Really, and other words I hate.

Really.  Well, not really, but reeealy.  Or is it just a blunt matter of fact: really.  People are using the word REALLY in ways it wasn't meant to be used.  If you're shocked by something, or aghast, or taken aback, disgusted, disappointed, mad or miffed you cannot so simply express your discontent by deforming the prosody of  the word REALLY.  For that matter YEAH RIGHT is growing in popularity and grates upon me like chalk catching the board perfectly square - or better yet a finger nail.  I hear it all the time as a means of agreement, confirming that you feel the same way.  At Cross Fit, one will say "This is going to really suck", and others will chime in 'Yeah right".  Not in the bygone days where the use of  'yeah right' meant that not all was truly right.  People say "Yeah right" now and they mean it, darn it. And that's all they have to say. That's it.   No contribution to the conversation whatsoever.  I mean, really?

There's more.  I hear them.  I watch people's lips move closely and occasionally the word 'wholenother' pops out.  Gag. Or, it pains me to even write this:  'It is what it is'.  What the fuck does that contribute to anything?   Of course it is what it is.  But why?  How did it come to be in the first place?  Really, yeah right.  It is what it is.  I might as well ask "Where you at", but that's a wholenother thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment